Monday, September 17, 2012

Post-Break Random Thoughts

I was on vacation last week so I didn't spend much time on the internet. During that time off I was able to visit with my Mom who I haven't seen in a couple years. It was a great visit and got me thinking again about the family dynamic. The evolution of the human family unit is something that has fascinated me for some time. I expect a future blog entry will explore it in more detail - my thoughts and observations about the importance of the family unit to Mankind's ability to coexist peacefully in large numbers and how the breakdown of that family unit is largely responsible for the greater breakdown of society.

+++++++++++++

Finally had a chance to see the 'movie' "Innocence of Muslims" this morning. The independent film was posted on YouTube and within days followers of Islam were attacking American embassies across the Middle East and Africa. A number of people were killed in those attacks, including the American ambassador to Libya. Given the history of extremist reaction to anything deemed blasphemous it really shouldn't come as a surprise the film gave certain Muslims reason to vent their hatred for anything western (read: American.)

What is surprising is the number of people in the western world who still don't get why so many Muslims are upset enough to riot. A common sentiment expressed by western media pundits and regular folks in the street is "In this day and age how can anyone get upset enough over a video that they would riot in the street and condemn people to death?" To me the answer seems simple... The people rioting and attacking American embassies and outposts don't live in this day and age.

This too is something I've been thinking about for some time - not the "Innocence of Muslims" film and subsequent events exactly, but the disparities between the Middle Eastern/African Muslim world and that of the western hemisphere. I expect I'll blog about my thoughts and observations concerning that in the not too distant future also. I have my own opinions about things and I'm not afraid to share them... unlike a lot of moderate Muslims residing in Canada and the U.S. who almost always remain silent when the more hardcore extremists of their religion get to acting up.

+++++++++++++

There are a number of things I've been thinking about lately, many of which I plan on writing about in future editions of "Dew On The Newts". Not because I think MY opinions are important enough that people need to hear them. (Far from it.)

+++++++++++++

The world is a big place but maybe not big enough for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment